Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pizza Crust with a Twist!

Thin and crispy or thick and chewy, pizza crust can take on many forms and frankly I love them all. As a family we love to make pizza at home, each rolling our dough to our desired thickness and topping it with whatever our heart desires. The other evening I found myself craving pizza with a different kind of crust. I've been seeing many recipes using vegetables  instead of dough (eggplant and cauliflower) and was curious to see how that would taste!

Now I am not going to tell you that this crust will replace your favourite dough - that it will not.  Pizza dough and cauliflower taste nothing alike and definitely have very different textures.  What I will tell you is that this veggie laden alternative is super tasty and my kids loved it.  Seriously??? A Pizza alternative with a cruciferous cancer deterring, fibre filled vegetable!  The three main ingredients in this crust are cauliflower, eggs and cheese (that covers a variety of food groups) after that you can decide what seasonings to add.  Personally I kept it simple adding a dash of pepper, garlic powder and oregano. When my crust was baked, I topped it with chicken, hot peppers, red onions and mushrooms. The cheese in the crust was enough for me and so I didn't add extra on top.

Crust - This size will do 2 people
4 cups grated cauliflower (you can also put it through your food processor)
2 eggs
1 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp coconut oil

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  2. Steam the grated cauliflower for 6 minutes and allow to cool. Squeeze any excess water out of the steamed cauliflower.
  3. When cooled, combine cauliflower, eggs, cheese and seasoning in a bowl and mix well.
  4. Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
  5. Transfer cauliflower mixture to the parchment lined cookie sheet and form into a rectangle about 1/4" thick.
  6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes then remove.
  7. Top your crust with desired toppings.
  8. Place pizza back under a low broiler until cooked (about 15 minutes)
We served it with a Tomato and Avocado Salad dressed
with Rice Vinegar, Olive oil sat and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment